In close partnership with Empirical Labs and its founder, Dave Derr, Universal Audio is proud to introduce the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor Compressor plug-in for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces as part of UAD Software v9.4 — an expert end-to-end circuit emulation of the iconic compressor that has been used on thousands of hit records.
“The UAD EL8 Distressor plug-in is significantly better in accuracy and operation than the other plug-ins that try to cop its vibe and sound,” says Distressor creator Dave Derr. “It’s the best Distressor emulation in the world and will stand the test of time as the definitive Distressor emulation.”
Recently we did an interview with Eelke Kleijn, a big fan of UA products.
Introduced in 1993, the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor is revered in studios all over the world as the modern, “must-have” compressor. Versatile, super fast, and offering tons of color, the Distressor picks up where the legendary UA 1176 and Teletronix LA-2A compressors leave off — a modern tool that’s equal parts utilitarian and creative.
The Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor Compressor plug-in provides all the features and coveted sound of the original Distressor design. UA’s team of DSP experts started with a complete circuit trace and component study of Dave Derr's selected golden unit. Simultaneously, the team analyzed three more Distressors representing the lifetime of the product — ensuring one of UA’s tightest circuit models to date.
Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Plug-In Key Features:
- Track and mix with the only authentic emulation of the EL8 Distressor — the world's most popular modern compressor
- Radically shape guitars, drums, and vocals with nearly infinite gain reduction variations
- Creatively color instruments and vocals with famous “Dist 2” and “Dist 3” modes
- Embellish, pump up, or destroy bass, synth, and room mics with custom detector filtering
- Harness plug-in-only features like Dry/Wet parallel processing and Headroom for user-customizable operating level
- Mix with presets from Chris Coady (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio), Chris Zane (Passion Pit, The Walkmen), Hector Delgado (A$AP Rocky, Selena Gomez) Jimmy Douglass (The Rolling Stones, Roxy Music), and more
Universal Audio Releases New Plug-In Titles from Softube, Brainworx, and Townsend Labs for UAD and Apollo Platforms
Universal Audio is pleased to announce the release of UAD Software v9.4. Alongside the new UA-developed Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor plug-in, this latest software release also offers plug-in titles from UA’s direct developer partners.
Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus — $199*
Developed by Softube and available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces, the Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus plug-in is an exacting emulation of the ultra-rare, three-channel dream machine favored by ’80s L.A. session royalty — including Michael Landau, Steve Lukather, and Dann Huff. The Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus plug-in gives you all the expansive depth of the original’s three independent bucket-brigade delay lines, along with new “plug-in-only” features, for tracks dripping with lush vibe and character.
Dytronics® Tri-Stereo Chorus Plug-In Key Features:
- Get thick analog chorus from three bucket-brigade delay lines, simultaneously on a single source
- Craft rich, swirling analog chorus textures on guitars, keyboards, bass, synths, and more
- Sculpt lush modulation sounds with Preset or Manual mode, each with its own LFO waveform output
- Use Preset and Manual modes together to craft your own signature chorus tones
Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp — $149
Developed by Brainworx and available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces, the Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp is an exacting emulation of the legendary solid-state bass amp used by artists like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, No Doubt, Guns n’ Roses, and more. Famous for its bi-amplified operation and DI output, the Gallien-Krueger 800RB quickly became an industry standard for countless bassists, touring bands, and backline companies.
The Gallien-Krueger 800RB plug-in emulates the original hardware’s bi-amplified architecture, providing two different power amps — one for the lows and one for the highs. An adjustable crossover allows you to control which frequencies go to which power amp, and each has a master volume knob, making it easy to dial in just the right amount of bass or bite.
Gallien-Krueger® 800RB Bass Amp Plug-In Key Features:
- Record your bass through a spot-on emulation of one of the all-time classic bass amps
- Independently select Recording Chains with cabinet/microphone combos for each of the 800RB’s two amplifiers
- Shape your tone with Gallien-Krueger’s unbeatable voicing filters and 4-band EQ
- Track with authentic bass-amp feel through an Apollo interface using Unison™ technology
Ocean Way Microphone Collection — $249*
Developed by Townsend Labs for the Sphere L22 microphone and available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces, the Ocean Way Microphone Collection plug-in expertly captures the “best of the best” from Allen Sides’ world-renowned mic locker at Ocean Way Studios.
Featuring 12 microphones from Neumann, Sony, RCA, AKG, and more*, the Ocean Way Microphone Collection in conjunction with the Sphere L22 mic lets you change the proximity effect and polar pattern in realtime or at mixdown, as well as reduce bleed, room coloration, and feedback — before or after tracking. You can also mix two different mic models together for recordings that capture the characteristics of both microphones.
Ocean Way® Microphone Collection Plug-In Key Features:
- Accurate emulations of vintage microphones from Allen Sides’ world-renowned collection, including mics from Neumann, Sony, AKG, RCA, and more*
- Realtime UAD Processing with Universal Audio’s Apollo interface for extremely low latency
- Three-dimensional modeling emulates proximity effect, polar patterns, and other off-axis characteristics of vintage microphones with stunning accuracy
- Re-Mic Sphere tracks and select mic type, polar pattern, proximity effect, and other settings before or after tracking
- *User must own the Townsend Labs Sphere L22 microphone to use the Ocean Way Microphone Collection plug-in.